LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is an evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis. At the TOM and MTY, our certified LIVESTRONG Coaches create a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships, and improve quality of life. Since 2007, the LIVESTRONG Foundation has been the YMCA’s partner in developing and delivering LIVESTRONG programs to local YMCAs. Recent research from the Yale Cancer Center and Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Institute have confirmed that LIVESTRONG at the YMCA improved fitness and quality of life, as well as, significantly decreased cancer-related fatigue. The program has served more than 30,000 cancer survivors in more than 400 communities across the nation. It is open to adults 18 years or older at no cost.
Description and Goals:
● Small group and supportive environment
● 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week
● Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength, balance, and flexibility exercises
● Held in Group Fitness Room
● Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Life Assessments before and after participation
● Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
● Requires referral and medical clearance from a physician
The YMCA’s LIVESTRONG Program Has a Proven Impact to:
● Help survivors MEET or EXCEED the recommended amount of physical activity
● Help survivors SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE their cardiovascular endurance
● IMPROVE cancer survivors’ overall quality of life and DECREASE their cancer-related fatigue
● Any adult 18 years old or older who is living with or beyond cancer treatment.
For more information or to enroll:
Contact Karen Horn at the THOMAS E. HANNAH FAMILY YMCA:
Winter Session: January 20, 2022 – April 21, 2022
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30 -11:00 AM
Contact Sherry Johnson at the MIDDLE TYGER FAMILY YMCA:
● email [email protected] or call (864) 433-9623
To learn more about LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, call us (864) 585-0306 or visit the LIVESTRONG site.